Soft White Idli by Gowri Chebbi
Indulge in soft, fluffy Idlis with a twist of Avalakki (poha) for added softness and flavor.
- 4 cups idli rice
- 2 cups urad dal (Black Gram)
- 1 cup avalakki (poha)
1. Soak the idli rice, urad dal, and avalakki (poha) separately for about 5 to 6 hours.
2. Grind the urad dal into a smooth and soft paste.
3. Coarsely grind the idli rice and avalakki into a thick batter.
4. Combine both the batters in a large bowl and mix well.
5. Allow the mixture to ferment overnight or until it doubles in size.
6. Once fermented, add salt to taste and mix gently.
7. Pour the batter into idli molds and steam for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the idli comes out clean.
8. Serve the idlis hot with chutney and sambar.
9. If desired, use the same batter to prepare dosas the following day. Just spread the batter thinly on a hot tawa and cook until crispy.
Enjoy this versatile batter for a delightful breakfast or dinner!