Rava Idli Recipe by Gowri Chebbi
Experience the South Indian delicacy of Rava Idli, enhanced with a medley of seasonings. Personalize it by adding your choice of vegetables for a fresh twist.
- 2 cups Rava (semolina)
- 1 cup soured curd
- Salt, to taste
- ½ tsp soda bicarb
For the seasoning:
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-6 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1-2 strings of curry leaves
- 2-3 sprigs of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 6-8 broken cashew nuts
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
Optional: Add vegetables like peas, carrots, and tomatoes to the batter. Fresh fenugreek leaves or dill leaves can also be included for a hint of additional flavor.
1. Begin by preparing the seasoning. In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, incorporate the channa dal, urad dal, green chilies, curry leaves, and ginger. Sauté until the dals become golden. Add the broken cashew nuts and roast until lightly browned.
2. Stir in the rava, and fry for 2-3 minutes until aromatic.
3. Remove from heat and let it cool. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the soured curd, soda bicarb, and salt. Combine to form a batter. If using optional ingredients, fold them in at this stage.
4. Pour the batter into greased idli molds.
5. Steam the idlis until they are cooked through and serve hot. Pair with your favorite chutney or sambar for a complete meal.