Peanut Poli (Holige) by Gowri Chebbi
This traditional Indian delicacy, Peanut Poli, often referred to as Holige, is a sweet flatbread filled with a rich peanut mixture. Crafted by Gowri Chebbi, it's the perfect treat for special occasions or just a delightful snack.
For the Filling:
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, dry roasted
- ¾ cup jaggery
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 10 cardamom pods, powdered
For the Dough:
- 2 cups maida (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp oil
- A pinch of salt
- Water, as required to knead the dough
1. Begin with the filling: grind the roasted peanuts, jaggery, poppy seeds, and cardamom into a dry powder. Mix well and set aside.
2. For the dough, combine the maida, oil, salt, and water in a mixing bowl. Knead to form a smooth dough.
3. Take a small portion of the dough, flatten it slightly, and place a spoonful of the peanut mixture in the center. Gather the edges of the dough and seal the filling inside, forming a ball.
4. Gently roll out the stuffed dough into a round shape, taking care not to let the filling ooze out.
5. Heat a skillet or tawa, and roast the poli on medium heat with a tsp of oil until it gets golden brown spots on both sides.
6. Serve hot, generously topped with ghee, and enjoy the nutty, sweet flavors of Peanut Poli.