Moong Dal Khir (Payasam) by Gowri Chebbi
1. 1 cup of green gram dal (moong dal)
2. 3 cups of jaggery
3. ½ cup of dry coconut powder
4. 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds
5. 4 cardamom pods
6. ½ teaspoon of nutmeg powder
7. 1 ½ cups of water or milk
8. 2 teaspoons of ghee
1. In a pan, roast the moong dal with 2 teaspoons of ghee until it turns a light brown color.
2. Pressure cook the roasted moong dal for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Dry roast the coconut and poppy seeds, then grind them into a fine powder.
4. In a separate pot, melt the jaggery with water.
5. Once the moong dal is cooked, add the jaggery water and the fine powders. Boil the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add crushed cardamom pods and nutmeg powder to the mixture.
7. Serve the Moong Dal Khir hot.