Dosa and Idli Coconut Chutney Recipe by Gowri Chebbi
Dive into the aromatic and rich flavors of this coconut chutney, a classic accompaniment to the South Indian staples, Dosa and Idli.
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ cup fried channa dhal (Putani)
- 1-inch ginger
- 6 to 8 green chilies, roasted with 1 tsp of oil
- 10 to 12 fenugreek seeds, roasted
- ½ tsp tamarind pulp
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed for grinding
- 2 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- 2 pinches of asafetida
- 2 to 3 curry leaves
1. In a blender, combine the coconut, channa dhal, ginger, roasted green chilies, fenugreek seeds, tamarind pulp, cilantro, salt, and a bit of water. Grind everything into a smooth, thick paste.
2. For the seasoning: In a small pan, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then, add the dry red chili, asafetida, and curry leaves. Sauté for a minute.
3. Pour this seasoning over the chutney and mix well.
4. Serve with dosa or idli and savor the delightful flavors!