Dhal Idli Recipe by Gowri Chebbi
Indulge in the healthy goodness of Dhal Idli, a fusion of green gram and black gram dhals combined with aromatic spices. Perfect for breakfast or a nutritious snack.
- 2 cups green gram dhal
- 1 cup black gram dhal
- ¼ tsp soda
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 2-4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1-inch ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 strings of curry leaves, finely chopped
1. Begin by soaking both the green gram and black gram dhals in ample water for about 5 hours.
2. Once soaked, drain the water and grind the dhals into a coarse, thick paste. Allow this batter to ferment overnight.
3. The next morning, incorporate soda, salt, jeera, green chilies, ginger, cilantro, and curry leaves into the batter, ensuring everything is mixed thoroughly.
4. Spoon the batter into greased idli molds.
5. Steam the idlis in a pressure cooker (without weight) until they are soft and fully cooked.
6. Serve hot, pairing with your favorite chutney or sambar for an enhanced flavor experience.