Dhal Chutney Powder by Gowri Chebbi
Unleash the flavors of two different dhals combined with aromatic spices in this chutney powder. Perfect to sprinkle on dishes or mix with ghee and rice.
- 1 cup Bengal gram dhal
- 1 cup Black gram dhal
- 1 cup dry coconut powder
- 1½ cups broken red chilies
- Tamarind, the size of a lemon
- 1 bunch of curry leaves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (jaggery)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafetida
1. Begin by dry roasting the Bengal gram dhal, Black gram dhal, dry coconut powder, red chilies, tamarind, and curry leaves in a pan until they achieve a light brown hue.
2. Once roasted, transfer the mixture to a grinder. Grind the ingredients into a fine powder.
3. In a separate pan, heat oil for the seasoning. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Introduce the cumin seeds and asafetida and sauté for a few seconds.
4. Pour this seasoning over the powdered mixture and blend well. Finally, add jaggery and mix thoroughly until well combined.
5. Store in an airtight container and use as desired. Enjoy the rich flavors when paired with rice, dosas, or any dish of your choice.