Bitter Gourd Chutney Powder by Gowri Chebbi
Dive into the unique blend of bitter gourd's earthy tones combined with the fiery warmth of red chilies in this Bitter Gourd Chutney Powder. The harmonious fusion of ingredients and spices creates a delectable flavor profile that's both tantalizing and memorable.
- 1 kg bitter gourd
- 35 to 40 red chilies
- 4 1/2 tbsp Bengal gram dhal
- 2 1/4 tbsp black gram dhal
- 3 cups dry coconut powder
- A small lemon-sized tamarind
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (jaggery)
- Salt, to taste
1. Begin by dry roasting the red chilies, both dhals, and dry coconut powder. Grind these ingredients to a powder once cooled.
2. Grate the bitter gourd, discarding the seeds. Season with salt and turmeric powder, then let it sit for about 2 hours.
3. Squeeze out all the moisture from the marinated bitter gourd. In a pan with 3 tsp of oil, dry roast the bitter gourd until it turns a light brown and attains a crispy texture.
4. Combine the bitter gourd with the previously prepared powder, adding jaggery to the mix.
5. For seasoning, splutter mustard seeds in hot oil and toss in some curry leaves. Mix this seasoning with the chutney powder.
6. Store in an airtight container and enjoy with your favorite dishes.